Wednesday, August 25

Before, During and After

Hello Everyone,
Many quilter's ask me, "How do you decide which design to use on a quilt?"
It is a process.

Before~
First I look at the quilt...
This is a customer's Carpenter's Wheel quilt. It measures 39" x 39" and it is going to be used as a wall hanging, and not as a table topper. 

During ~ 
Since this quilt is going to be used as a wall hanging, I should choose some designs that will enhance the piecing. If this quilt was going to be used as a table topper; then I would consider an all over design. The thought here is that the quilt will probably not be seen in it entirety as a table topper; there would be items on top of the quilt (lamp, book, etc.); thereby making the quilting design less important to the overall quilt design.

The blocks of this quilt top are only three inches square. I need to be concerned with size and scale. I would not want to place any very detailed dense design in those areas. I need to choose simple and open designs to complement the over all feel of the fabrics and the piecing.
Here is a look at a design for the outer border, inner corner, and center side areas.
The designs are all very simple and open. They do not take away from the over all feel of the Carpenter's Wheel wall quilt.
Once I have a plan, I am ready to start quilting. Although, sometimes part of the plan may change as I quilt; I may become inspired to go in a little different direction.

After ~
Here is the wall hanging after quilting.


Here is a shot of some of the details.


I hope this blog entry has given you some insight as to the process, Before, During and After that I go though with each quilt that I quilt.

Until next time…  
Happy Quilting, 
Kathy

1 comment:

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful, Kathy. It was interesting to read and see the process.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...