Thursday, March 14

Parallel Universe: A Modern Quilt

Hello Everyone, 
Many of you have asked me what personal project(s) am I working on. Today I thought I would share with you one project that I have started.
Trimmings, trimmings and more trimmings.
I was watching a video on You-tube that Cozy Quilt Designs posted about a month ago. Daniela, the owner, had attended The Road to California Show and was inspired by the modern quilts on display. She came up with a pattern called Parallel Universe. I really liked what I saw and decided that I too could make a modern quilt.

I first ordered the pattern, and then went to my local quilt shop to purchase some fabric for this quilt. I know what you are thinking - 'She has lots of fabric. I've seen some of her stash!' I did not have enough yardage for my background fabric, inner and outer borders. I did have plenty of black and white fabrics to use.
Fabric selection.
This quilt uses the strip tube method. So I started making my strip sets and tubes.
Then it was time to cut up, cut down and create all those half-square triangle blocks.
Cut up, cut down ...
Once the cutting was done, I pressed all the blocks using Best Press. When you use the strip tube method to cut half-square triangles, you need to be careful handling the edges of the finished block. All the edges are bias.

All the blocks needed to be squared.
Squaring all the blocks.
I decided on a layout and started to sew the blocks together. 
Vertical sashing is added to blocks.
I still need to add the borders, quilt it, bind it and put a label on.

Here is the You-tube Cozy Quilt Design video if you would like to be inspired to make an easy modern quilt.

I have stepped out of my comfort zone to make a modern quilt! If you decide to make a modern quilt be sure to drop me a line letting me know about your experience.

Until next time… 
Happy Quilting, Kathy
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...